Monday, January 29, 2024

#80-81 Alannah Myles (+ Alanis Morissette bonus)

Alannah Myles parlayed her #1 hit "Black Velvet" into a pair of MusiCards in 1991.

Per ASCAP, it was the most played song on radio for 1989 and 1990, so that's pretty impressive. Like most Americans, I liked the song, but never really heard from her again after it faded from the airwaves.


I hadn't realized (or maybe I just forgot) she was Canadian, but I guess her being known for that bluesy Elvis tribute tricks you into thinking maybe she's from down south. She's got a robust Wikipedia entry with lots of accolades from north of the border, though in the US she just could never get out of "Black Velvet"'s shadow.


Here's the other card Alannah Myles got. Neither was reprised in the UK edition, so she's just got the two regular MusiCards. Not much to say about the photos used-- typical promotional headshots-- though both cards look like they would have been better served by having the Super Stars logo bumped to the opposite corner (but for some reason Pro Set only dared do that for the UK edition, or for the occasional Series 1 cards that got an updated variation included in Series 2 packs).


Alannah turned 65 this past Christmas and seems to have slowed down her music career, though she still works on music here and there, in recent years re-recording her old songs, sorta like the Taylor Swift thing, re-recording your music so then you own the recordings instead of slimy industry dudes.

I'd be curious if any of you regular readers have heard an Alannah Myles song besides "Black Velvet"..? I took a curious listen to some of her other songs on Spotify and they were solid but nothing else really stood out too much for me. Here's one that's not too bad:

Alannah Myles - "Why Have Angels Denied You"


CUSTOM CORNER

Feels like I gotta pair up Alannah Myles with another female singer from Ontario who also did some child acting before becoming a rock star, and who coincidentally happens to have a similar name.


This custom fudges not only Pro Set's borders, but also the timeline of Alanis becoming a star. Her debut album didn't come out until 1991, with a quick follow-up in '92, but those were Canada-only releases. Then in 1995, Jagged Little Pill was a worldwide smash, selling over 33 million copies. You gotta imagine that had MusiCards endured as an annual release instead being one-and-done, Alanis would have likely been all over those theoretical mid/late-90s MusiCard sets, probably even featured on the box.

I still remember when she burst onto the scene with "You Oughta Know". For a guy like me mainly into alternative rock back then, the track was notable for featuring Flea and Dave Navarro, bandmates at the time in the Red Hot Chili Peppers. The story I remember hearing is that they only agreed to do it as anonymous session work, and after a bit of legal posturing when the news leaked, the two guys ended up getting points on the album, resulting in Navarro making more money from that one song than the entirety of the rest of his tenure in the Chili Peppers, funny enough.

I'd consider myself a casual fan of Alanis Morissette, but have never bought an album or seen her live. "Hand in My Pocket" and "Ironic" are a couple other hits of hers I dig, both also off Jagged Little Pill. Acting-wise, she was cool to see in Dogma and a run on the show Weeds, plus a recurring part on the fun animated show The Great North. I also watched a lot of You Can't Do That on Television as a kid (despite it being kinda controversial at the time), though I don't particularly remember young Alanis' brief stint in the cast.

Anyways, her most recent album came out in 2022. For further reading, you can peruse her Wikipedia entry.



"Thank You"

READER APPRECIATION

I wanted to do a little reader appreciation now that 2023 is in the books. I hit my MusiCards Blog goal of posting at least once a month for the year.. though fell short of my stretch-goal of posting more than once per month. But I still count it as a victory after only 5 posts in all of 2022.

I like to offer a vague incentive for readers to chime in about the artists we cover here, so sometimes I get around to doing a little mail-blast to the regulars. Thanks and congrats to these five fellas who all commented on at least half of the 12 posts here in 2023:

Brett Alan
Fuji
Jon
Matt (Red Sox)
Night Owl

It goes without saying I appreciate anyone who reads this little blog, and especially these 5 guys for their continued active participation. If there's a chance I don't have a current mailing address for any of you guys, please hit me up. Nothing too exciting, but I'm planning to send out thank-you cards your way soon/eventually.

No promises for a similar promotion next year, but definitely maybe. If you're a reader who doesn't comment much, well, the count is reset for 2024, so feel free to pop in more this year. Let me know in the comments if you've got any thoughts/memories to share regarding Alannah Myles and/or Alanis Morissette. Thanks!

9 comments:

  1. I remember finding Myles rather attractive back in the day, and her sultry voice easily helped. I vaguely recall listening to her album on a cassette, but don't remember anything other than "Black Velvet"

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Canadian, remember both of them well. Saw Alannah a few years ago performing at a local bar. She's still got it. I've been slimed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually bought the Alannah Myles follow-up CD, Rockinghorse in '92, so I do know other songs of hers besides Black Velvet (which I did get a little tired of). She could sure do publicity shots. ... I did own Jagged Little Pill (still probably in the house somewhere), who didn't? It's like owning Thriller in the '80s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty sure the radio station I worked for at the time played the follow-up to "Black Velvet", "Love Is", but I can't say I remember anything about it.

    "Hand In My Pocket" was my favorite Alanis track and is still fun to hear when it comes on the radio. The rhyme scheme is so weird. But I can't stand "Ironic".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I've listed to Black Velvet a bunch of times... and even know some of the words to the song... I can't say I really like it... nor can I name any other song by Myles. On the other hand, I was a big fan of Alanis Morissette's Jagged Little Pill. Pretty sure I still have that CD sitting in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Black Velvet is the only song of Alannah's that I've heard, at least that I know of. I liked Alanis in Dogma, but have never really gotten anything from her music. I had a girlfriend that really loved Jagged Little pill when it came out, and I wouldn't even want to hazard guess as to how many times I must've heard that album; certainly more than I ever needed to.

    Congratulations on reaching your blogging goal. I sort of have the same goal with my blogs, but I've yet to achieve it for all three blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm following you now...and I appreciate this blog...it's good stuff! thanks

    ReplyDelete